Thursday, June 18, 2009

CSA Update :: We're About to Begin

10 days ago

this morning

Hello CSA Members,

Yes these pictures are of the same squash field. What a difference 10 days can make!

Just a reminder that next Tuesday, June 23 will be our first pick up. I have heard from many of you regarding which location you'll be using as a place of pick up. However some of you have yet to respond. We can't have your yummy vegetables ready for you at the proper place unless we know if you're picking up at the Elma C. Lomax Incubator Farm Park on Atando Road or at Two Leaves and a Bud in downtown Concord. If you have not done so already let me know by sending me an email or by giving me a call at 704/305.6654.

If you missed it, the Lomax Incubator Farm was featured in the Charlotte Observer this past Sunday. You can read the entire article online here:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/779137.html

It even has pictures of us. I was out of town on a research assignment last weekend when the article ran. My wife called to tell me about it and said,

"You'll never believe who's on the front page of the Charlotte Observer. It's you and you're wearing that ridiculous hat."

I can't republish the picture here but you can see it and pictures of Brad and Eric hard at work. You can also learn more about the Elma C. Lomax Incubator Farm Park by reading the article. There are many, many more people involved in the Lomax Incubator Farm. I'll share more information about the program and its people with you during the course of the season but this article is a good overview.

Below I am posting a letter from Chad and Faith VonCannon. They own and operate Creekside Farms. They are one of our 'Protein Partners' and they will be at Two Leaves and a Bud at the first pick up to introduce themselves and share samples of their meat. They will have meat to sell as well if you are interested. I have also attached their price list.

We're not trying to overwhelm you but so many of you have expressed interest in buying local meat, eggs and cheese that we wanted to bring in people who do that and do it well. I can speak personally for the great tasting sausage and beef they raise. I've been to their farm and I've seen the animals. I even ended 5 years of vegetarianism so I could eat their meat and know what it's like. Tasty, very tasty.

We'll be featuring a few other 'Protien Partners' as well and I'll be sharing more information about them in future updates including Four Acres Farm. We're having their lamb this evening for dinner.

Speaking of meat, we just ordered our Thanksgiving turkey. We ordered from the Wagner Family at Carlea Farms. I know it's early but they will sell out fast. If you're interested contact them at cwag@ctc.net or 704/463.1882. Tell them Cold Water Creek Farms sent you.

One last mention before our pickup begins. Two Leaves and a Bud is being gracious enough to host our downtown Concord pick up (and they bought a membership!) so be sure to thank them for their hospitality and try their tea. It's great. They also serve great food and hopefully an increasing amount of it will come from Cold Water Creek Farms.

See you Tuesday- remember 4:30pm until 6:00pm.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment