Monday, August 3, 2009

Seventh Pickup is Tuesday 8.4.2009 (and we found a puppy)

Hello Everyone,

Based on the unforeseen events of yesterday one lucky family included in our CSA will find a small puppy in their weekly container of delicious vegetables. The puppy in question was found trespassing at the Incubator Farm early on Sunday morning. Clearly the puppy was dumped by hard-hearted puppy haters who thought that those of us working tirelessly to grow vegetables and ignite the local food economy in the Charlotte region would be suckers willing to take in a cute young dog, with no farm dog resume to speak of. They were right of course as I could not drive away and leave this small little buddy literally in the street looking for someone to rescue him.

I was kidding about putting him in someone's CSA container. A final decision has not been made about where this dog will ultimately find a home. Eric Williamson is an absolute sucker for dogs who need homes but he has a lot on his plate and already has two female dogs. This young pup is definitely a boy. Keaton, my three year old daughter has offered all her (non $) resources to help provide a home for this dog. And there is the fact that he was found near the farm. It's arguable to say where or not he was peeing on our produce or fiercely protecting it with all the bite of a 12 week old puppy. Sigh. We will keep you posted. A picture is attached.

We had several families out at the farm on Sunday and we harvested the old squash/zucchini fields for the last time. I mowed one row but we will have to wait until it dries up a bit to mow the rest of it. Then we will till it under. We really appreciate everyone who came out to help yesterday. I forgot to ask about sharing names about who was here so I won't add specifics but I can say that we got a lot of work done in a short amount of time and I'm grateful to everyone who came out!

I hope that everyone who came out on Sunday enjoyed the extra corn (now with lower levels of worms and even more freshness!) and the other vegetables. We are shameless in our attempt to offer even more food to those of you who come out and help us get work done.

Container Update :: We had only one container unreturned last week and it was returned on Sunday so we are still, as a group, doing a spectacular job in retuning containers. So as I am often accused of doing, I'm going to raise the bar on my CSA members who are already doing good work.

Here's the deal. A friend of ours is going to work out a situation where he can buy small, mesh bags perfect for containing green beans or a garlic bulbs that needs to be kept out of the ice of our CSA containers. These bags aren't expensive but they aren't cheap. I would rather buy some of them and use them week after week instead of plastic Ziploc bags, but that would require CSA members to return them on a regular basis. Based on our experience so far I'd say you all would do a good job of this but I though I'd run this suggestion past you. Could you realistically return 2 or 3 small mesh bags each week in our containers, which we would wash and stuff with yummy vegetables for the following week or would they get lost in your fridge? I need candor here.

I'm sending this email update out early and frankly, I'm not exactly sure what you'll be getting on Tuesday. I say that because both the Silver Queen corn and the okra are on the bubble. I picked a little corn on Sunday for our volunteers but I'm not sure that it shouldn't have waited another 2 or 3 days and been better. Also we have a little okra but will we have enough for everyone? I'll send out an update before the pickup so you'll know exactly what you're getting.

You will get some green tomatoes. You can let them ripen or you can use the following recipe with an understanding that all this is an adventure and I admit to never having fried green tomatoes before last night but they were good.

One more thing before the recipe. I will be out of town from Wednesday until Saturday evening, Email will go unanswered but phones calls will be answered; probably.

Call me at 704/305.6654

And if I don't answer you'll know why and you can give Brad or Eric a call. By the way they could use some help later this week as I tend to be one of the fastest green-bean-pickers available in Cabarrus County. Go out for just few hours and work on your tan; and leave with some extra food.

Eric 704/796.7795

Brad 828/406.0849


Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe

Ingredients

3 medium, firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method:

1 Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.

2 Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment